Saturday, June 23, 2012

DIY Glass Pendant


I am sure by now you all know that I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander's Series, in fact I love the books so much that I have become obsessed with all things related to Scotland. Most recently the new Disney Movie Brave! You can see a preview here. 
I promised the next door neighbor kids that I would take them to see the movie (kinda like my excuse to go!) I decided I wanted to give the girls a charm necklace to wear and keep after the movie! I went in seach of a book to use and I found a copy of Brave at Target! I also thought it would be a good idea to have a grown up necklace as well. When I started think on what pictures I remembered my Outlander Companion book-it is FULL of great pictures related to the series and Scotland.
Before I move on I want to mention that you should NOT make copies of any of the images without permission. I chose to cut up the books that I have, but if you don't want to do that you can also check over at Etsy.com. Search digital images for all sorts of images you can cut up and use as you please.

You will need the following items:
Alenie's Paper Glaze
E-6000 adhesive
craft knife and mat
chain
jewelery findings (sun and moon crafts on etsy)
image
Before I move on I want to mention that you should NOT make copies of any of the images without permission. I chose to cut up the books that I have, but if you don't want to do that you can also check over at Etsy.com. Search digital images for all sorts of images you can cut up and use as you please.

 To start off I used the glass tile to decide what image I thought would look good as a pendant. After I found what I wanted I used a craft knife to trim it out. ( I used the craft mat between the pages so I only cut what I wanted) * Cut a slightly larger piece of image than your tile.
 Next up I used the Paper glaze to attach the image to the glass charm. (Use a piece of wax paper to protect your work surface)
* Note* you can not use photo paper for this project. The ink doesn't soak into photo paper and it reacts with the paper glaze. If you wish to use a family or pet photo print it on plain white cardstock.
Add a small drop of paper glaze to the glass tile, turn it over on the image and move it around until the entire glass tile is covered with glaze. Place the glass tile over the portion of the image you wish to use.
Let this dry for a couple of hours.
My images came from the Outlander Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Brave(Disney Pixar) and 1969 Webster's Elementary Dictionary



 Next up use the craft knife to cut away the extra image. Cut as close to the tile as you can making sure no paper over hangs.
 Turn the tile over and cover the back in paper glaze making sure to get all the way to the edge. If it runs over use a q-tip to clean up the excess.  Paper glaze is self leveling. If you have any air bubbles use a strait pin to get rid of them. Let this dry for at least 12-15 hours and don't touch or move them. I like to do at at night before I head to bed, that way they don't get moved and I don't have the urge to touch them-I am very impatient when it comes to waiting for things to dry.
 Next up use a small amount of E-6000 to attach the bails to the back of the glass pendant. Let this dry for at least 12 hrs.And add a chain, mine are 20" long, but feel free to make yours any size.

How would you like to win the Stag pendant? Outlander Kitchen is giving this one away! Head over there and enter to win and while you are there look around, there are some great recipes. I know because I have tried lots of them!!

2 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Beautiful pendants. TFS

Leslie said...

Love it. Thanks for the tut.