Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This was the 1st book (that I remember) reading that was just letters. The whole book is a collection of letters written back and forth between several people. This is the story of Guernsey Islands after the 2nd World War, focus on the German Occupation of the Island. There are some really sad parts in the book were the English Islanders were treated badly by the Germans, things that make me very thankful for the time and place that I live. Even though there are sad parts the book has lots of happy and funny parts and ends on a great note. I would highly recommend this book, I learned somethings I didn't know about.
One thing that one of characters writes " reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books" I think that is so true. I love reading and will read just about anything, but a good book will stick with you forever!

4 comments:

Lisa Fowler Windsor, CO said...

Read it--and loved it!

Cindeeblogger said...

This is one of my all-time favorite books. I would also recommend listening to it - it added so much with the different voices of the characters!

Cindeeblogger said...

Do you take book recommendations? If so, I just finished the book, "A Grown-up Kind of Pretty" by Joshilyn Jackson. I really liked how the story unfolded. If you're looking for another good book, give it a try.

Dawn said...

We definitely have similar taste in books. I enjoyed this one as well!